Thursday, October 11, 2007

Vocabulary Project

Today, I got so excited to get out all the markers, colored pencils, sharpies, and crayons in order to work on our mini-vocabulary project. When I was looking over the spelling words this week I thought to myself, "Why are we asking the students to learn how to spell words they don't know?!" Mrs. Matthews agreed with me so we decided to do a quick, fun vocab project. Students are making comic strips using the spelling words we thought they might not already know:
Mercy, Sincere, Yearn
Career, Hermit, Merely
Severe, Rehearse, Kernel
Appear, Pearly, Dreary

Third period is going to use words off the Word Wall where we keep all the interesting words we've come across in our read aloud,
"My Life as a Fifth Grade Comedian" (words like eligible, ballistic, and genuine). I'll scan in some of the best comics when they're done. I can't wait to see what our crazy classes come up with!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Lipsky and Mrs. Matthews,
I love your blog site and information. I especially enjoy reading about what my child and his friends are doing at school during the day. It helps me understand him as a whole person.

I would love for Tanner to learn to keyboard correctly and do podcasts of himself reading with expression. Any plans to do so?

TRS

The Lipsky/Matthews Team said...

Wow! Those are both great ideas. We do hope to include Podcasts or Voice threads on our blog in the future. We try to incorporate technology into our room as much as possible. The students are currently typing the plays they have written and we have several ideas that will include using the keyboard more this year! :)

Sincerely,
Miss L